Windows 11 was officially announced as the latest version of Microsoft’s operating system on June 24, 2021. Naturally, you most likely want to know if your Windows 10 computer will be able to run the new update and gain new features. Microsoft has a handy tool to help you check.
if you want to get this free upgrade when it goes live, you will need to confirm whether your device is ready for the new Windows 11. You can download this app through this link or just check the list of minimum requirements here.
Microsoft released a “PC Health Check” app that, among other things, can tell you if your PC meets the system requirements to run Windows 11. Those system requirements can also be found on Microsoft’s website if you’re interested.
To check if your Windows PC can run Windows 11, download the “PC Health Check” app (clicking the hyperlink will start the download immediately).
Next, open the downloaded file and accept the terms to install it.
Then check the “Open Windows PC Health Check” box and select “Finish.”
You’ll see a Windows 11 section at the top of the app. Select the blue “Check Now” button.
A window will open and say either “This PC Can Run Windows 11” or “This PC Can’t Run Windows 11”
Can My PC Run Windows 11? Here’s How to Check
- Download the PC Health Check app (clicking this link will begin the downloading process).
- Open the downloaded file and you will see a prompt asking if you want to run this file. Click on the Run button to confirm.
- On the setup screen, accept the terms, and click on the Install button.
- This will begin the installation process, which could take a minute.
- Once done, you will see a screen with two checkboxes.
- Check the Open Windows PC Health Check and click on the Finish button.
- You will now see the “PC health at a glance” screen.
- Under the Introducing Windows 11 section, click the Check now button.
- This will finish the process and you will either get the “This PC can run Windows 11” or “This PC can’t run Windows 11” message.
The system requirements listed by Microsoft are as follows:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
- RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB)
- Storage: 64 GB or larger storage device
- System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable